The following terms and conditions apply to all submissions of all the contests organized by the Brussels Street Photography Festival (BSPF). By participating to the BSPF, the photographer agrees to be fully unconditionally bound by these rules below.
- The contests are open to people from all nationalities and countries aged 18 or over.
- The contests are open to all levels of experience, from enthusiasts and beginners to professionals.
- The photographer must be the sole author and owner of the copyright of the pictures submitted.
- Pictures can be submitted whether or not they have been published.
- The photographer can participate in all contests but in each contest only once.
- The photographer may submit the same pictures to each contest as they are considerate separate.
- Each picture can only be entered once for each contest. Duplicates will be removed.
- A minimum of five (5) pictures and maximum of seven (7) pictures may be submitted for the Series Contest.
- A maximum of ten (10) pictures may be submitted for the Singles Contest.
- Pictures can be taken in any part of the world, including Brussels.
- Singles Contest submissions are to be curated and judged by the strength of each single picture being submitted.
- Series Contest submissions are to be curated and judged by the strength of all the pictures together being submitted. The order of the pictures is taken into consideration.
- All contests are open from Wednesday, May 1, 2019 until Thursday, August 1, 2019.
- Pictures must follow the concepts of street photography, meaning candid pictures on any location.
- Staged pictures are not accepted.
- Pictures must not be altered or manipulated in any way.
- Only single exposure and single frame pictures will be accepted. HDR pictures are not accepted. No watermarks are accepted. Computer-generated or computer-altered pictures are not accepted. Artwork and illustrations are not accepted.
- Landscape (horizontal oriented), portrait (vertical oriented) and square (1:1) format pictures are all valid.
- Pictures must comply with basic tenets of appropriate content. No defamatory, sexually explicit, obscene, or abusive subject matter will be accepted.
- The year when the pictures submitted were taken is irrelevant.
- Submitting pictures that have not been submitted to other festivals/contests is recommended.
- Pictures can be taken with digital cameras or film cameras. Film pictures must be digitized in order to be submitted.
- Pictures should be in jpg/jpeg format. Film pictures must be digitized and sent in jpg/jpeg format.
- Pictures submitted can be in color or black and white.
- Basic darkroom retouching techniques are accepted.
- Minor cropping is permitted.
- Removing sensor dust or scratches on scans of negatives is permitted.
- Each picture should not be bigger than 5MB.
- Pictures should be at least 3000 pixels on widest side.
- Filenames must include the photographer name and last name with a sequence number. e.g.: FirstName_LastName_1.jpg, FirstName_LastName_2.jpg, and so on. Not doing so will result in being excluded from the contests automatically.
- The complete unmodified EXIF information of the picture should be included in order to be valid. This only applies for digital pictures, hence it is not required for digitized film pictures.
Price & Payment
- The fee for the Singles Contest is 18 EUR per picture when submitting 1 to 5 pictures and of 15 EUR per picture when submitting 6 to 10 pictures.
- The fee for the Series Contest is 60 EUR.
- The price of each entry will be calculated at the end of the submission automatically.
- The payment can be made by credit card or by PayPal. In the case of paying by credit card, the payment details will processed by Stripe using a safe SSL certificate and not kept by the BSPF.
- Payments are not refundable.
Curation & Exhibition
- The exhibition of the BSPF will feature the best photos submitted to each of the contests.
- Each picture submitted is carefully checked by the staff of the BSPF and it can take up to 48 hours to do so.
- All pictures submitted to the BSPF contests are eligible to be part of the exhibition as long as they comply with all other rules.
- The selection of the finalist will be carried out by the team of curators during two weeks between Monday, August 5, 2019 and Monday, August 19, 2019.
- Photographers selected as finalists will be contacted before Wednesday, August 28, 2019 by the BSPF to provide a high-resolution file of the picture(s) selected if necessary. The high-resolution picture(s) should be sent to the BSPF before Thursday, September 5, 2019.
- Finalists will be requested to indicate the place and year in which their selected pictures were taken.
- Finalists will be officially announced on Wednesday, September 4, 2019.
- The exhibition curation and costs will be covered by the BSPF.
Jury & Prize
- The winners of the BSPF will be selected during the festival by our jury.
- The winners of the BSPF will be announced during the festival itself.
- Winners do not need be present in the festival in order to win the prizes.
- The prizes for the winners are not transferable.
- The winner of the Brussels prize will be awarded to only one (1) picture.
- In order to be awarded the Brussels prize, the picture must be taken in the geographical area of the City of Brussels.
- The awarded picture, if any, will be selected amongst the finalists from all contests organized by the BSPF during 2019.
Social Media Prize
- Each picture submitted to the Singles Contest is carefully checked by the staff of the BSPF and it can take up to 48 hours to do so.
- All pictures submitted to the Singles Contest are eligible to participate in the social media prize and will be added by our staff manually to the designated gallery as long as they comply with all other rules.
- The social media gallery will be open to voting in the beginning of June, 2019.
- Voting will be closed and counted on Monday, September 2, 2019.
- The three (3) most voted pictures will be shared on our social media.
- The most voted picture will be announced around two weeks before the festival official date.
- The most voted picture will be printed as a postcard and given for free to the visitors of the BSPF during the festival.
- The official gallery URL is: https://www.bspfestival.org/en/contests/singles/voting/
Legal & Copyright
- Copyright holders retain copyright of their work.
- For all submitted pictures, copyright holders grant the BSPF three (3) years of non-exclusive use of the pictures for activities in all media, including social media, online and print, in relation to the contests, the festival, the exhibition, and all promotional and educational activities for and under the auspices of the BSPF, without any remuneration being due.
- Pictures submitted will not be used for commercial purposes or sold to a third-party.
- For finalist pictures taken in Brussels, copyright holders grant the city of Brussels unlimited non-exclusive use of high-resolution pictures for the city of Brussels Archives and all promotional activities for and under the auspices of the city of Brussels Archive, without remuneration being due.
- The BSPF does not accept any liability for the publication of unlawfully reproduced images.
- Any personal data relating to the photographer will be used solely in accordance with current Belgian data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without prior consent.
- The Entry Rules and any dispute, proceedings or claim of whatever nature arising out of or in any way relating to the Entry Rules (including any non-contractual disputes or claims), shall be governed by Belgian law.
- The conditions set out in the Entry Rules are binding, and the BSPF reserves the right to refuse or exclude any entry at its own discretion.
- The BSPF reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice. Any changes to the contests will be notified to participants as soon as possible.
Limitation of Liability
By participating, entrants agree to release, discharge, and hold harmless the Brussels Street Photography Festival, its organizers, all respective partners, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising agencies, agents and their employees, officers, directors, and representatives from any claims, losses, damages, and injuries arising out of their participation in this festival.
The photographer agrees to fully indemnify the Brussels Street Photography Festival with respect to all royalties, fees and any other monies owed to any person or entity.
The Organizers (The Brussels Street Photography Festival and all affiliates) assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, or delay in operation or transmission; communications line failure; theft or destruction of or unauthorized access to festival entries or entry forms; or alteration of entries or entry forms. The Organizers are not responsible for any problems with or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, human errors of any kind, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to entrants’ or any other persons’ computers related to or resulting from participation, uploading, or downloading of any materials related to this festival.