The following rules apply to the Made in Bruxsel contest organized by the Brussels Street Photography Festival (BSPF) in conjunction with Made in Bruxsel. By participating, the photographer agrees to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules below.
- The contest is open to people from all nationalities and countries aged 18 or over.
- The contest is open to all levels of experience, from enthusiasts and beginners to professionals.
- The photographer must be the sole author and owner of the copyright of the pictures submitted.
- Pictures can be submitted whether or not they have been published.
- There are two (2) categories for this contest: Main and Instagram.
- All the rules apply for both categories unless specified otherwise.
- The photographer can participate in both categories.
- The Instagram category requires that the pictures are published on Instagram using one of the following tags: #PhotoMIB or #FotoMIB.
- The photographer must register in order to participate in the main contest.
- Registration is open from Friday, January 26, 2018 until Sunday, April 1, 2018.
- A maximum of three (3) pictures can be submitted to each category.
- The picture sent must be taken in the Brussels-Capital Region.
- The picture must be sent before Monday, April 2, 2018.
- Pictures will be judged by the strength of each single picture being submitted.
- Pictures should follow the concepts of street photography, meaning candid pictures on any location.
- Pictures must not be altered or manipulated in any way.
- Only single exposure and single frame pictures will be accepted. HDR pictures are not accepted. No watermarks are accepted. Computer-generated or computer-altered pictures are not accepted. Artwork and illustrations are not accepted.
- Landscape (horizontal oriented) and portrait (vertical oriented) pictures are both valid.
- Pictures must comply with basic tenets of appropriate content. No defamatory, sexually explicit, obscene, or abusive subject matter will be accepted.
- The year when the pictures submitted were taken is irrelevant.
- The pictures must be in accordance with the specific theme of the contest.
- The theme of the contest is: Bruxsel Melting-Pot, the Brussels mixture.
- Pictures can be taken with digital cameras or film cameras. Film pictures must be digitized in order to be submitted.
- Pictures should be in jpg/jpeg format. Film pictures must be digitized and sent in jpg/jpeg format.
- Pictures submitted can be in color or black and white.
- Basic darkroom retouching techniques are accepted.
- Minor cropping is permitted.
- Removing sensor dust or scratches on scans of negatives is permitted.
- Each picture should not be bigger than 5MB.
- Pictures should be at least 3000 pixels on widest side.
- Filenames must include the photographer name and last name with a sequence number. e.g.: FirstName_LastName_1.jpg, FirstName_LastName_2.jpg and FirstName_LastName_3.jpg. Not doing so will result in being excluded from the contests automatically.
- The complete unmodified EXIF information of the picture should be included in order to be valid.
- Participation to this contest is for free.
Curation & Exhibition
- The final exhibition will feature the best pictures submitted to the main contest.
- The best picture submitted to the Instagram category will be printed as a postcard.
- All pictures submitted to the contest are eligible to be part of the exhibition as long as they comply with all other rules.
- The selection of the finalist and winners will be carried out by the jury on the first week of April 2018.
- Participants selected as finalists will be contacted before Monday, April 9, 2018 by the BSPF to provide a high-resolution file of the picture(s) selected if necessary. The high-resolution picture(s) should be sent to the BSPF before Monday, April 16, 2018.
- Finalists will be officially announced on Friday, April 20, 2018.
- The selection, the prints, the exhibition and general costs will be covered by Made in Bruxsel and BSPF.
Jury & Prize
- The winners will be selected by a composed jury.
- The winners will be announced during the exhibition night.
- The winner shall not be present in order to be granted the prizes.
- The prize for the winner is not transferable.
Legal & Copyright
- Copyright holders retain copyright of their work.
- For the submitted picture, copyright holders grant the BSPF and/or Made in Bruxsel three (3) years of non-exclusive use of the picture for activities in all media, including social media, online and print, in relation to the contests, the festival, the exhibition, and all promotional and educational activities for and under the auspices of the BSPF and/or Made in Bruxsel, without any remuneration being due.
- The picture submitted will not be used for commercial purposes or sold to a third-party.
- The BSPF and Made in Bruxsel do not accept any liability for the publication of unlawfully reproduced images.
- Any personal data relating to the photographer will be used solely in accordance with current Belgian data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without prior consent.
- The Entry Rules and any dispute, proceedings or claim of whatever nature arising out of or in any way relating to the Entry Rules (including any non-contractual disputes or claims), shall be governed by Belgian law.
- The conditions set out in the Entry Rules are binding, and the BSPF and Made in Bruxsel reserve the right to refuse or exclude any entry at its own discretion.
- The BSPF reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice. Any changes to the contests will be notified to participants as soon as possible.
Limitation of Liability
By participating, entrants agree to release, discharge, and hold harmless the Brussels Street Photography Festival, its organizers, all respective partners, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising agencies, agents and their employees, officers, directors, and representatives from any claims, losses, damages, and injuries arising out of their participation in this festival.
The photographer agrees to fully indemnify the Brussels Street Photography Festival with respect to all royalties, fees and any other monies owed to any person or entity.
The Organizers (The Brussels Street Photography Festival and all affiliates) assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, or delay in operation or transmission; communications line failure; theft or destruction of or unauthorized access to festival entries or entry forms; or alteration of entries or entry forms. The Organizers are not responsible for any problems with or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, human errors of any kind, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to entrants’ or any other persons’ computers related to or resulting from participation, uploading, or downloading of any materials related to this festival.